Monday, September 29, 2008

You're Gonna Miss This


There are so many things I miss. My kids are 25 and 21 and my daughter (25) is married. How fast time flies. But to narrow it down to one specific memory---I miss the little house at 2810 Newsom Circle. It was barely 1000 square feet, one bathroom, two bedrooms, kitchen, tiny living room and a den that used to be the garage. Both of my kids were born there. Oh---how I dreamed of getting out of that nasty little house. It was old and outdated. 

But----I remember my daughter, then 3, walking with me (we only had one car)  as I went door to door selling Avon. Sometimes we would take the wagon. What a fun time for just the two of us. One Xmas she asked Mommy---how come Santa brings us Avon too??? She knew her stuff!!

I remember walking to the Hostess thrift store and buying outdated twinkies and cupcakes. What a bonding time. 

I remember calling all of my friends when my husband got a wonderful job in pharmaceuticals and said "GUESS WHAT I BOUGHT TODAY". It was a trash can for our kitchen!!!! We had been married 4 years and that was my big purchase. 

I remember going from garage sale to garage sale getting better furniture than what we had and being thrilled with it. I remember buying clothes in Country Club neighborhoods so that I would not have to spend the money on new clothes but bought really nice clothes "from the rich people". Little did I know then how truly rich I was. God had blessed me with everything I had ever dreamed of. I remember being in high school, a waitress, looking at a couple with two kids (a boy and girl) and stopping right there and praying--God--that is what I want some day. A husband, a boy and a girl. And what did God do?? He blessed me with exactly what I had asked for. God has blessed me far beyond what I could have ever imagined in life. And-----He continues to bless me. 

Sure---I love my house now----I love my furniture that came from a real store. I love buying clothes (on sale :) ) at a real mall and buying things for my grown kids. But yes----I do miss those first few years. 

Thank you God---for amazing days and a blessed 26 years.

4 comments:

Leah said...

Isn't it funny how blessed we truly are when we don't even realize it? Jason and I look back at the first summer after we got married, when we both didn't have jobs, and we have such great memories of those times. God is good!

Karen said...

Hey, I remember all that! I miss those times from my beginning, too. I miss my little trailer when Curtis was in med school...rain on the tin roof, polishing my plastic furniture, etc. Most of all, I miss the kids when they were little...but, if I redid it I wouldn't have another sweet daughter and two precious grandkids. So...God is definitely good to us and we are so blessed!

April said...

Thanks for sharing so many wonderful memories.

TamJo said...

Oh I loved reading that today...Its sooo encouraging to someone is freshly starting out..haha

Daisypath Anniversary Years PicDaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker